Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Can't Go Back Now...

Yesterday, when you were young,
Everything you needed done was done for you.
Now you do it on your own
But you find you're all alone,
What can you do?

You and me walk on
Cause you can't go back now.

You know there will be days when you're so tired that you can't take another step,
The night will have no stars and you'll think you've gone as far as you will ever get

But you and me walk on
Cause you can't go back now
And yeah, yeah, go where you want to go
Be what you want to be,
If you ever turn around, you'll see me.

I can't really say why everybody wishes they were somewhere else
But in the end, the only steps that matter are the ones you take all by yourself

And you and me walk on
Yeah you and me walk on
Cause you can't go back now
Walk on, walk on, walk on
You can't go back now

---The Weepies

I was having lunch with my sister this afternoon and this song came up in conversation. It was one of those conversations about life and God and purpose. This song has meant a lot to me these past few weeks, it points to how I have been feeling these past few months since returning from Uganda.
My life has changed dramatically and experiences that I once had and friends I once held dear are fading. People move on and stay the same, as much as there is heart ache in this, my only choice is to walk on. I need to forge the life that God is calling me to. I need to make steps on my own so that I can learn to be who I am created to be. This is the hardest thing. It means letting go, even if you aren't ready and even if it hurts. Priorities change and the milestones you once looked forward to are no longer available or meaningful.
Yet in all of this there is hope, always hope and that is what I need to find on a daily basis. I just need to let go and walk on...

No comments: